Design Discourse Two
What is Duotone reproduction?
- Duotone reproduction is a traditional printing technique that typically involves two colors of ink applied via halftone patterns over white paper.
- This style gives an overall sense of coloration and has a nostalgic quality (but costs less than full-color printing involving three or four inks).
- Digital imaging software like Photoshop provides a duotone function to produce this effect, while allowing the user to choose the ink color(s). Our method can easily produce a similar effect as follows.
- We start with a grayscale image (or desaturate a color image). We select a 3-color palette and force one of the colors to be white (paper).
- Finally the user can adjust the two darker (ink) palette colors to achieve various imagery in the style of a duotone.